8-year-old Shantay Small from Georgia was left traumatized last week after her tongue got stuck in a water bottle she was drinking from.
It took doctors more than eight hours and emergency surgery to remove it. Now, her mother is warning other parents to be very careful so the same thing doesn’t happen to their child.
Shantay Small says she bought the same water bottle for all three of her kids, and they all use it all the time. But last week, her 8-year-old daughter Jayla got her tongue stuck in her bottle, and she couldn’t get it off.
Jayla was at cheerleading practice on September 13 when it happened, and her mother says the coaches tried to help her get it off, and when they couldn’t, they called 911.
Even paramedics couldn’t free her tongue from the bottle, so she was rushed to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.
Once she got there, Small said doctors were left baffled. They tried to work on her, punching holes in the can and even calling in maintenance to cut the bottom of the bottle off.
But by that time, her tongue had become very swollen inside the container, and the bottle had drifted so far back in her mouth that it was almost at her wisdom teeth. She was let gagging.
That’s when they took her into surgery.
With Jayla under anesthesia, it took doctors about an hour in the operating room to free her tongue from the bottle.
Now, Jayla is on antibiotics and has to use antiseptic mouthwash and sprays to help with the swelling. Her mother says doctors have told them she will likely need speech therapy because of possible nerve damage she may have suffered.
The entire incident has been very traumatizing for Jayla. She can’t drink from a straw, and her food has to be pureed. She says she’ll avoid these kinds of bottles, at least for the time being.
Meanwhile, Jayla’s mother has a warning for parents everywhere who might have bought the same bottles for their kids.
“I would tell parents if they have them, discard them,” Small said. “Don’t let your young children drink from them if they don’t know how to use them.”
Small says the water bottle was metal with a small opening, but the specific brand of the bottle is not know.
News video HERE
A 72-year-old Swedish man died during an operation to have a tumour removed from his kidney … after the chief anesthetist and nurse took a lunch break in the middle of the surgery.
The incident, which took place at the Lidköping hospital, has prompted stinging criticism from Sweden’s National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen).
The 72-year-old went under anesthetic at 10.45am on the day of the operation, which took place in January 2011.
At noon sharp, the head anesthetist left the operating room to go for lunch. Fifteen minutes later, the head nurse anesthetist also left the patient and went for lunch.
No other anesthetist was called in to take over responsibility for the doctor who was on his lunch break.
And while another nurse was brought in to cover for the nurse anesthetist, the nurse who arrived came from the orthopedic ward and wasn’t familiar with the respirator to which the 72-year-old was attached.
Suddenly, the patient started hemorrhaging and his blood pressure started to drop, sparking a “chaotic” situation.
As the patient’s condition became critical shortly before 1pm, the substitute nurse tried desperately to reach the lunching anesthetist, but to no avail.
When the doctor and the primary nurse anesthetist returned to the operating room, they discovered that the patient’s respirator had been turned off, leaving him without oxygen for approximately eight minutes.
Despite immediately starting resuscitation efforts, doctors were unable to revive the man, who had suffered irreparable brain damage and died several weeks later.
The man’s daughter subsequently reported the incident to the health board, which on Tuesday issued a harsh critique of the hospital’s procedures.
“The operational planning, which allowed for the responsible doctor and nurse to take lunch breaks at the same time without any other doctor taking responsibility for the patient, entails taking an unacceptable risk,” the agency wrote in its findings.
The agency also found fault with the fact that the doctor wasn’t reachable by phone, as well as with the decision to hand responsibility for a high-risk patient with a single nurse who lacked sufficient knowledge of the equipment in use during the operation.
“The National Board of Health and Welfare finds, however, that the operation’s lack of organization as well as the chaotic situation which occurred was the underlying causes behind the misjudgments and insufficient care,” the agency wrote.
A dog had to undergo surgery after wolfing down a strawberry along with the spoon it was served on.
Max the rottweiler underwent an emergency operation last month after X-rays revealed the 5in (12.7cm) teaspoon lodged in his stomach, pet charity People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) said.
The 10-year-old’s owner, Annette Robertshaw, of Wakefield, said her brother had been visiting her and was eating some strawberries when Max took a shine to them.
He offered Max one on a teaspoon but was caught totally by surprise when the dog gulped down both items. Max did not suffer any immediate ill-effects but Mrs Robertshaw, 47, took him to her local PDSA pet hospital.
An X-ray showed the spoon lodged firmly in Max’s stomach and he was rushed into surgery to remove it.
PDSA veterinary surgeon Daniel Cook said: “I have never seen a dog that’s eaten a teaspoon before although we do see lots of odd things that dogs have eaten, such as socks and children’s toys.”
He said ideally pets should be fed from their own food bowls to avoid this type of mishap.
Mrs Robertshaw said Max has fully recovered but now turns his nose up at strawberries.
She said: “We don’t feed him anything on a spoon any more just in case but he doesn’t seem to be too interested in strawberries lately.”
An experienced Swedish surgeon from Gävle mistakenly removed the entire hip joint of a healthy 30-year-old woman and left it on the operating table during what was supposed to be a minor procedure to remove a small growth in the hip area.
“I have never before heard of anything like it,” said head physician Lars-Göran Holtby of the Gävle hospital to daily Aftonbladet.
The 30-year-old woman was having surgery to remove a small growth of bone close to her hip, apart from which she was completely healthy, wrote the paper.
But instead of just removing the growth, the surgeon allegedly chiseled away the entire hip joint, and put it on the operating table before the mistake was discovered.
The surgeon and the other physicians who were called in to try to solve the problem then attempted to re-attach the joint with metal plates and screws.
However, the woman developed an infection from the procedure and the hip never healed properly, causing doctors to later have to fit her with a prosthesis.
A spokesperson for the hospital’s orthopedic section, Åsa Linnea Davidsson, told Aftonbladet that the surgeon is devastated with the mistake, which was explained as a “misjudgement regarding the woman’s anatomy”, according to the paper.
“I deeply regret what has happened. It is a very serious health care injury,” she told Aftonbladet.
The incident has been reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen), in accordance with Lex Maria, the informal name for regulations governing the reporting of injuries or incidents in the Swedish health care system.
Fire crews in England were called to a hospital to cut off a sex aid after a pensioner had battled for 36 hours to remove it. They were later offered counselling over the incident.
Bemused surgeons asked for help when the 69-year-old turned up at North Manchester General Hospital and revealed his problem.
Crews from Blackley station rushed to the ward and used a precision cutting tool to free the patient. It is understood that the pensioner was asked to sign a disclaimer before the delicate operation was carried out with medics on standby.
The patient originally turned up at Fairfield Hospital, Bury, at 11pm before he was transferred to North Manchester.
Plans were made to use a four-inch angle grinder to remove the ring-shaped object, but eventually an air cut-off tool was selected.
Cooling cream was applied to the area and the patient was asked to sign a form acknowledging he was aware of the dangers of the operation.
The delicate procedure took place in the operating theatre and is understood to have taken more than an hour.
The man spent the night at the hospital and was released yesterday morning.
It is thought firefighters involved were offered counselling following the incident.
A fire service spokesman said: “Our crews were professional and adapted to the circumstances they were faced with. We wish the man involved a speedy recovery.”
A Chinese man who swallowed barrel of a doctor’s syringe during a routine operation is set to receive 60,000 yuan ($9,500) in compensation after the hospital administrators admitted to their staff’s blunder.
Zhang Hua underwent an operation under general anesthesia March 22 to remove polyps from his nose at a hospital in Yichang, a city in central China’s Hubei province, the China Daily reported.
“When I came round after the anesthetic had worn off, I had an awful pain in my throat,” Zhang said.
As Zhang’s family brought the problem to his surgeon’s notice, they were told that it was a routine pain. Four hours later he got out of bed and vomitted.
“After vomiting some blood, I felt something stick in my mouth. It was covered in blood, and I threw it in a trash can before I realised it was a syringe barrel.”
In a statement, the hospital authorities later explained when surgeons removed a tube during the operation, they had placed a syringe barrel in Zhang’s mouth to extract phlegm and to prevent him biting himself.
After an investigation, an anesthetist is believed to have been found at fault for not removing the syringe barrel after surgery. The hospital said it has suspended the anesthetist from duty.
The hospital has “agreed in principle” to pay Zhang 60,000 yuan in compensation.