A Goulais River, Ontario, man accidentally shot himself in the forehead trying to kill a mouse.

He was using the butt of a rifle to club the rodent when the weapon went off Wednesday at a camp on Anjigami Lake, about 40 kilometres southeast of Wawa, provincial police said.

A bullet grazed his forehead, said Const. Amanda Huff.

The man didn’t know the weapon was loaded.

“He was very lucky,” said Huff.

The man was treated in hospital and released.

Dale Whitmell, 40, was charged with careless use of a firearm and will appear in court Sept. 17.

Tagged with:
 

A man from Oregon is at death’s door in a hospital battling a rare case of the infamous “Black Death” plague, health officials said.

The unidentified man, who is in his 50s, was bitten on the hand while trying to pull a mouse away from a stray cat on June 2 and got sick several days later, doctors at St. Charles Medical Center-Bend said.

The man was thought to be suffering from septicemic plague — meaning the ruthless bacteria was spreading in his bloodstream — and was in critical condition on Tuesday, doctors said.

Karen Yeargain, the county health department’s communicable disease coordinator, said that officials were working to confirm that the man had the plague, but that all the symptoms were there, including stomach pain, bleeding mouth, nose and anus and dying tissue.

He’s just the fifth person to catch the plague in the state since 1995. Only about 10 to 15 people in the United States catch the frightening illness each year, typically in western states.

Globally, health officials report about 1,000 to 3,000 cases per year, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Famously known as “Black Death,” the disease killed around 75 million people — around a third of the population — when it swept through Europe in the 14th century. Victims were often left with blackened, rotted tissue around their noses, lips, fingers and toes.

Rat-borne fleas usually carry the bacterium that causes the plague — Yersinia pestis — and humans can catch it from contact with rodent or other animals.

Oregon health officials don’t know if the man was bitten by the cat or the mouse. The cat, a stray that had wandered the man’s rural Crook County neighbourhood for around six years, has since died and was sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing.

“Taking a mouse out of a cat’s mouth is probably not a good idea,” Emilio DeBess, Oregon’s public health veterinarian, said.

Early plague symptoms include fever, chills, headache, weakness and swollen nodes in the neck, armpit or groin. It can be treated with antibiotics, but 1 in 7 cases are fatal, according to the CDC.

Tagged with:
 

A tiny wood mouse stands up to a cat and scratches it on the nose.

Looking like a scene from a Tom and Jerry cartoon, the fight saw ‘Jerry’ escaping under the fence and back into the woods where ‘Tom’ had earlier caught him.

The cat had brought the mouse into a garden in Reigate, Surrey, hoping to spend the afternoon chasing him before snacking on the little critter. But he bit off more than he could chew when the mouse turned on him in a battle to survive.

Stephanie Evans said she came outside and saw the mouse in the cat’s mouth. He put the mouse down and instead of running away the mouse just fronted him. The cat was so shocked he just stood there.

She says she thinks they must have tussled for about 10 minutes, before the little mouse disappeared under the fence. A neighbour later found the mouse in his greenhouse.

He said “he refused to run off. He was probably waiting patiently to smash a flower-pot over the cat’s head!”

Tagged with:
 

If you struggle to spend more than a few moments away from your computer then a new invention could be for you.

That’s because a pair of Dutch inventors have developed a set of jeans that give a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘laptop’.

The jeans, known as Beauty and the Geek, come with a fully functional keyboard, mouse and speakers integrated into the upper leg of the fabric and are the idea of design company Nieuwe Heren, run by Erik de Nijs and Tim Smit.

The jeans stay connected to the computer via wireless technology and allow the user to move around while typing. A mouse is attached to the jeans using an elastic cord

Tagged with:
 

A bank customer in Ersboda, northern Sweden, got more than he bargained for when he made a withdrawal from a cash machine and pulled out his money, followed by a mouse.

Gholam Hafezi was mystified when he didn’t get a receipt for his 700 kronor ($104) withdrawal, but noticed instead what looked like a shoe lace hanging out of the machine.

Hafezi grabbed hold of it and to his amazement realized it was the tail of a mouse, with the head and the rest of the body stuck inside the machine.

“I pulled once more and then his tail came off,” said Hafezi who rushed in to the customer help desk at the neighbouring Coop Forum grocery store for help.

Staff at the store ignored his pleas, however, because the cash machine had nothing to do with the shop owners.

Hafezi eventually got help from staff who were looking after trolleys, and together they managed to extract the rest of the rodent from the machine

“One of them pulled out the mouse, and its head was left intact, although it was a little bloody. Then I got out my receipt,” Hafezi said.

However, the shocked bank customer remains uncertain whether the rogue rodent survived the ordeal.

“I don’t know, but it was certainly still warm”, the shocked man replied, adding that he thought the mouse must have sneaked into the cash cartridge when the money was first loaded in.

Tagged with:
 

A mother was outraged after learning of a gruesome incident involving her baby and a local childcare center, which has led to a probe by the state health department.

The Donald K. Tucker Childcare Center, located in Newark, New Jersey, sparked criticism after 8-month-old baby Alanah Barba was found nibbling on a rodent while being supervised by preschool staff.

“I’m very upset because first of all they should’ve been watching her more carefully,” mother Brittany Barba said.

The baby was initially found by her grandmother, who assumed that the creature was a toy, but after closer inspection, realized that it was actually a dead mouse.

“There’s germs, mice carry disease, disgusted by it all,” the baby’s aunt Nadiyyah Miller said.

Miller explained that the entire family is frustrated because the daycare center refused to answer their questions about the incident, even denying them access to view the incident report.

Although the daycare center released a statement explaining that the incident was rare, Miller and Barba have criticized the childcare center for failing to answer a series of questions including how long the rodent was in Alanah’s mouth.

“This was an isolated incident. I was really hurt by this. It could have been my child,” executive director, Kiburi Tucker said.

Barba, a regular volunteer at the childcare center, immediately removed Alanah, who will likely not return.

YouTube Preview Image

Tagged with: