Toby, a seven-year-old Lhasa Apso, proved he was man’s best friend when he came to the rescue of his 81-year-old English owner Derek Ramsden.
Mr Ramsden was on holiday in Wales with his wife, Ada, 71, and their dogs Toby and Bruno, an 18-year-old Staffie Cross.
He was walking the dogs in a wooded area of the Brynowen Holiday Park, Borth, Aberystwyth, when he slipped. Mr Ramsden, of Halifax, West Yorks., lost his footing by a bridge over a stream and plunged into thick mud.
“I managed to get hold of a railing on the bridge. It was frightening. I could not get out and you can’t hold your grip for long at my age,” he said.
Mr Ramsden feared tumbling down banking and the possible consequences.
Bruno wandered off but Toby realised his owner was in difficulties and sped off to raise the alarm.
He ran a quarter-of-a-mile past bushes and apartments to reach the security office which was manned.
Toby barked anxiously and staff knew there was a problem and followed Toby back to the incident scene.
The dog led the way and kept stopping for helpers to catch up.
“Toby is dedicated to both of us and I think he is a hero,” said Mr Ramsden,.
Mrs Ramsden said her husband had been missing an hour and she grew concerned and set off in search of him. She then came across him flanked by park staff who had pulled him to safety.
“He was covered in mud from head to foot. If he had let go he could have slipped down further. Toby saved him.” she said.
Mr Ramsden suffered bruising to his back.
Park maintenance manager Ben Thompson had earlier seen Mr Ramsden and the dogs setting off and told how he and his colleague Martin Riley came to the resuce.
“It had been raining and the ground was slippy. The dog knew what it was doing. It ran past apartments through bushes and alerted security,” he said.
Toby barked for attention and moved towards where he came from so staff followed.
Mr Thompson added: “The dog was leading the way and without the dog we would not have known he was there. That dog certainly has something about it.”
When staff reached Mr Ramsden they were able to pull him out and walk him to safety.
Mr and Mrs Ramsden will shortly be giving Toby his reward – another caravan park holiday in Filey.
Galve police in Sweden broke into an apartment where a “lifeless” hand was seen hanging from a balcony only to discover the the hand was that of a mannequin.
They were called to an apartment block during the weekend and forced their way into an apartment when their knocks went unanswered.
When police reached the balcony, they found the “lifeless” arm reported by an emergency caller was in fact a part of a mannequin being stored on the balcony.
Police did not reveal the identity of the mannequin’s owner.
A hunter in Maine was trying to lure wild turkeys into the open with his imitation of a turkey’s call. Unfortunately his call was a little too good!
39-year-old Bill Robinson instead lured a hungry coyote that lunged at and bit him after mistaking him for a turkey.
“I’ll never forget looking up and seeing a jaw full of teeth coming at me,” Robinson told reporters.
Robinson had been hunting in Down East Maine near the Canadian border just before dawn. He had put his turkey decoy in a field and then hid in some woods, behind a thick spruce tree.
“That coyote came up the edge of the field and was on one side of that tree, with me on the other,” Robinson said.
“The distance involved was only about four feet. But that tree was so thick that he couldn’t see me, and I couldn’t see him. He was determined to have turkey for breakfast and was also determined that the sound he heard was a hen turkey,” he said.
“When he bit down on my upper arm, he went through four layers — a heavy jacket, a sweatshirt, a long-sleeve shirt and a T-shirt,” he said. “As I peeled off each layer there were two holes in each one. When I got to my arm, it was just burning and bleeding out of two holes.”
The coyote fled once it realized it hadn’t just bitten down on a turkey.
“It was as shocked and surprised to see me as I was to see it,” Robinson said. “I hit him in the haunch with a few pellets from my turkey load, just to say goodbye.”
An elderly Canadian woman fell and hurt herself. She dialed a wrong telephone number for help and ended up getting it from a man 1,900 miles away.
Patsy Watkins lives alone in a seniors’ apartment east of Montreal in Mont-Saint-Hilaire. Last week, she struck her knee, fell and cut her head.
She told the broadcaster while she doesn’t remember much after that; she had tried to call her daughter.
Instead she misdialled the number and the landline phone of 23-year-old Matthew Washer rang – 1,900 miles to the west in Calgary, Alberta.
Washer told the CBC that he got the woman’s name and phone number and began trying to help by calling his local 911 service. He said after 20 minutes with no success, he tracked down the business number of Watkins’ apartment and called them.
Staff told him nurses were with the woman waiting for an ambulance.
Watkins told the CBC she considers Washer a hero.
“I think it’s unbelievable that he took the time to do all that for a crazy old lady,” she said.
When a 12-year-old Swedish boy rang the emergency services to tell them of a fire which ended up killing a 5-year-old girl, he was told by operators to stop making prank calls.
Oscar and a young friend were standing outside the apartment building in Mjölby, southern Sweden, on Saturday when they noticed flames and black smoke billowing from the building.
The boy immediately called 112 (the emergency service hotline in Sweden) to alert people about the fire.
“They didn’t believe us and told us we should stop. They thought we were prank calling,” the boy said.
Luckily, Oscar made a second call moments later, which was allegedly answered by someone else who took the call seriously.
Norrköping’s SOS Alarm spokesperson has refused to comment on the event.
Stefan Rylander of the Mjölby fire services said that the fire truck was deployed after receiving an emergency call at 3.42pm, and that they were on the scene in three and a half minutes, wrote the paper.
The fire claimed the life of a 5-year-old, who tried to hide under a bed as the flames spread throughout the building. She was pronounced dead by police at 5.44pm.
An investigation was launched, after officials were concerned with the speed at which the fire spread. Foul play has not been ruled out, and officials are also questioning whether the structure of the building itself may be to blame.
The extensive use of plastic foam, used for insulation, may have been a reason for the speed in which the fire engulfed the apartment building.
“While this type of foam has been around for a long time, during the last ten-fifteen years it’s been used in a different way, in larger quantities and in places where it is exposed. Foam can, in some situations, pose fire problems,” said Mattias Strömgren of the Swedish civil contingencies agency to Dagens Nyheter.
Barrow County Emergency Services personnel say that being invisible is not an emergency situation.
This comes after an unnamed 28-year-old man from Winder, Georgia, called 911 on Feb. 17 and reported that he was invisible.
Paramedics with Barrow County Emergency Services and a deputy with the Barrow County Sheriff’s Office responded to a Chancey Circle residence following the 911 call.
When the deputy arrived at the location he was advised by first responders that the caller did not need medical assistance and that this was the fourth or fifth time paramedics had been to the residence in the past couple weeks.
The deputy was told the caller wanted a ride to the hospital “so he could get more medications” because he had taken all the medication he had received the night before.
According to the incident report, the caller was told he needed to “dry up on the medication” and that he should not call 911 unless there was an emergency. If he did call 911 again and did not need help, he would be arrested.
According to Barrow County Detention Center records, the caller has prior arrests for criminal trespass and failure to appear – perhaps due to being invisible?