A 72-year-old Swedish man died during an operation to have a tumour removed from his kidney … after the chief anesthetist and nurse took a lunch break in the middle of the surgery.

The incident, which took place at the Lidköping hospital, has prompted stinging criticism from Sweden’s National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen).

The 72-year-old went under anesthetic at 10.45am on the day of the operation, which took place in January 2011.

At noon sharp, the head anesthetist left the operating room to go for lunch. Fifteen minutes later, the head nurse anesthetist also left the patient and went for lunch.

No other anesthetist was called in to take over responsibility for the doctor who was on his lunch break.

And while another nurse was brought in to cover for the nurse anesthetist, the nurse who arrived came from the orthopedic ward and wasn’t familiar with the respirator to which the 72-year-old was attached.

Suddenly, the patient started hemorrhaging and his blood pressure started to drop, sparking a “chaotic” situation.

As the patient’s condition became critical shortly before 1pm, the substitute nurse tried desperately to reach the lunching anesthetist, but to no avail.

When the doctor and the primary nurse anesthetist returned to the operating room, they discovered that the patient’s respirator had been turned off, leaving him without oxygen for approximately eight minutes.

Despite immediately starting resuscitation efforts, doctors were unable to revive the man, who had suffered irreparable brain damage and died several weeks later.

The man’s daughter subsequently reported the incident to the health board, which on Tuesday issued a harsh critique of the hospital’s procedures.

“The operational planning, which allowed for the responsible doctor and nurse to take lunch breaks at the same time without any other doctor taking responsibility for the patient, entails taking an unacceptable risk,” the agency wrote in its findings.

The agency also found fault with the fact that the doctor wasn’t reachable by phone, as well as with the decision to hand responsibility for a high-risk patient with a single nurse who lacked sufficient knowledge of the equipment in use during the operation.

“The National Board of Health and Welfare finds, however, that the operation’s lack of organization as well as the chaotic situation which occurred was the underlying causes behind the misjudgments and insufficient care,” the agency wrote.

Source

Tagged with:
 

Traffic signs have been destroyed by New Zealand prostitutes who used them to perform pole-dances in the street in order to attract clients.

So far, more than 40 poles have been bent, buckled or broken in the past 18 months in one area of south Auckland, New Zealand, it is claimed.

The signs, bearing legally required notices such as parking restrictions, are thought to have cost ratepayers thousands of dollars to replace.

“Prostitutes use these street sign poles as dancing poles,” said Donna Lee, an elected member of the city council’s Otara-Papatoetoe Local Board.

“The poles are part of their soliciting equipment and they often snap them.

“Some of the prostitutes are big, strong people.”

Related Reading:

Tagged with:
 

A runaway tire slammed into a pedestrian on Monday in Sudbury, Ontario, as he walked along a city street.

The tire came loose from a vehicle driving nearby, rolling across the street and hitting the 53-year-old man.

The force of the impact broke the man’s leg.

He was taken to Health Sciences North for surgery.

The driver of the vehicle has been identified and was spoken to by police, who are continuing the investigation.

Related Reading:

Tagged with:
 

German police called to a break-in had to deal with a runaway cow rather than robbers, after the bolshie bovine jumped through a window and landed in an old woman’s kitchen.

The cow had escaped from her field near Quickborn in Schleswig-Holstein on Wednesday, and wandered into the woman’s garden – where she spotted what she thought was another cow also on a midweek jailbreak.

Enraged, she charged into what was actually her own reflection in the window of the woman’s house and crashed through the double glazing, police said on Friday.

Passersby who saw the smashed glass called the police, who arrived to find the cow calmly chewing cud in the kitchen with just a few scratches to show for her mix-up.

There was glass all over the floor and the window was completely destroyed – but the woman who lived in the house was not at home at the time.

Police officers rang a local vet to help them coax out the animal out, who had made herself at home on the kitchen floor.

The initial plan was to tranquilise her and drag her out of the house.

But being sturdier than the vet had calculated, the injections only annoyed her and she galloped out of the door compos mentis into the neighbour’s garden.

It was there that the vet managed to sedate her and she keeled over, asleep, into some shrubbery.

She is now back with her herd and has fully recovered from the ordeal, while repairs are being made to the house.

Photo gallery HERE

Related Reading:

Tagged with:
 

A grieving animal lover has died after the dog lead he wore around his neck in tribute to his favourite pet got caught in the wheel of his moving car.

Rob Emslie, 47, had been wearing his dead dog Sheevah’s lead in a noose around his neck when he got into his 4×4 after a night out.

He did not notice that, having slammed his car door shut, the tail end of the trailing lead remained outside the vehicle.

The plumber reversed. As he did so the nylon rope lead became entangled in one of the car’s front wheel axles. The force snapped Mr Emslie’s neck, killing him instantly.

The accident took place in the early hours of Monday morning at the Butterfield Road restaurant near the Kragga Kamma nature reserve in South Africa’s Eastern Cape region.

Carol Atterbury, owner of the Butterfield Road restaurant, was one of the first people to discover Mr Emslie’s body after the fatal accident.

“He came into the restaurant with this dog on a long three metre long rope lead which he had tied in a noose at the end,” she said.

“The dog was very well behaved and so he took it off the lead. As a joke, put it around his own neck, with the leash hanging behind him as if it were a tail.

“He had about ten glasses of wine and was the last to leave the restaurant at gone midnight on Sunday. We discovered his body the next morning.”

Mr Emslie’s friend Andy Green told South Africa’s Beeld newspaper that he had recently had his pet mongrel Sheevah put down and that he remained very upset about it.

Mr Green said that his friend had worn his Sheevah’s lead – which he also used for his replacement mongrel – around his neck “from time to time”.

Police captain Stanley Jarvis confirmed that police are not treating the incident as suspicious.

Related Reading:

Tagged with:
 

In an attempt to remove a curse from the Chicago Cubs, a group of hikers are walking with a small billy goat named Wrigley.

They said that they have already walked 1,300 miles to Chicago.

The five “Crack the Curse” walkers, who set off in February from Mesa, Ariz., said that they are raising money for cancer research while attempting to break the “curse” put on the team in 1945, when the owner of the Billy Goat Tavern and his pet goat were asked to leave Wrigley Field during the team’s final World Series appearance due to the animal’s odor.

“Great responses from everybody. I mean, we were in St. Louis, and we got a great response there, people in St. Louis were great — even though they’re Cardinals fans, everybody’s been really great to us,” said Blake Ferrell, one of the walkers.

The group said they have raised more than $6,000 for the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Wash.

UPDATE: When these five fans stepped out onto the field today, having completed the trek, it was without Wrigley, who was kept out of the Stadium by Cubs officials. An attempt to save the organization from re-making the curse — after all, it was a goat being in the stadium that started this whole thing in the first place…

Related Reading:

Tagged with:
 

Switch to our mobile site