Police said that a Charlotte, North Carolina mother refused to pick up her 5-year-old daughter from school.
Apparently the little girl came to Hickory Grove Elementary on Monday, but no one came to pick her up.
Police said school officials called the girl’s mother, but her mother refused to come get her.
People who live near the school said they feel for the child.
Steven Oliver said, “Oh, wow. The kid is probably confused, you know, and doesn’t understand, and [must] feel abandonment.”
Police said almost three hours went by. By 7:30 p.m., they had gotten the Department of Social Services involved and said they were afraid the 5-year-old could have been in “extreme danger.”
The child was taken into DSS custody. Police have not charged the girl’s mother.
It is unclear why the mother refused to pick up the child, but it was speculated that drugs or alcohol was involved.
Other similar stories:
- June 22, 2012 -- School sorry for encouraging pupil to write ‘suicide note’
- May 21, 2012 -- Mother uses profile picture to punish her daughter
- January 24, 2012 -- Teen calls cops when she hears mom having sex
- June 14, 2011 -- World’s first mother to daughter womb transplant
- May 27, 2011 -- Mom-and-son cop pair suspended after bar fight